Sunday, July 25, 2010

LAUGHTER IS DE BES' MEDICINE ENT?

So you think you're computer-illiterate?

1. Compaq is considering changing the command "Press Any Key" to "Press Return Key" because of the flood of calls asking where the "Any" key is.
2. AST technical support had a caller complaining that her mouse was hard to control with the dust cover on. The cover turned out to be the plastic bag the mouse was packaged in.
3. A Dell technician advised his customer to put his troubled floppy back in the drive and close the door. The customer asked the tech to hold on, and was heard putting the phone down, getting up and crossing the room to close the door to his room.

4. Another Dell customer called to say he couldn't get his computer to fax anything. After 40 minutes of trouble-shooting, the technician discovered the man was trying to fax a piece of paper by holding it in front of the monitor screen and hitting the "send" key.
5. True story from a Novell NetWire SysOp:

Caller: "Hello, is this Tech Support?"

Tech Rep: "Yes, it is. How may I help you?"

Caller: "The cup holder on my PC is broken and I am within my warranty period. How do I go about getting that t fixed?"

Tech Rep: "I'm sorry, but did you say a cup holder?"

Caller: "Yes, it's attached to the front of my computer."

Tech Rep: "Please excuse me if I seem a bit stumped, it's because I am. Did you receive this as part of a promotional, at a trade show? How did you get this cup holder? Does it have any trademark on it?"

Caller: "It came with my computer; I don't know anything about a promotional. It just has '4X' on it."

At this point the Tech Rep had to mute the caller, because he couldn't stand it. The caller had been using the load drawer of the CD-ROM drive as a cup holder, and snapped it off the drive.

2 comments:

  1. Laughter is the best medicine girl. And to think we have some teachers (unfortunately) in that bandwagon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs R
    You are right laughter is indeed the best medicine. I laughed when I read this and felt a sudden calm come over me. The problems above are all right for the layman. Imagine a teacher having a problem like the one below. I know some of them. Our choices are simple - we can either, laugh, cry or help them.
    Tech Support

    I had been doing Tech Support for Hewlett-Packard's DeskJet division for about a month when I had a customer call with a problem I just couldn't solve. She could not print
    yellow.

    All the other colors would print fine,which
    truly baffled me because the only true colours are cyan, magenta, and yellow.

    For instance, green is a combination of cyan
    and yellow, but green printed fine. Every color of the rainbow printed fine except for yellow.

    I had the customer change ink cartridges. I
    had the customer delete and reinstall the
    drivers. Nothing worked. I asked my coworkers for help; they offered no new ideas.

    After over two hours of troubleshooting, I was about to tell the customer to send the printer in to us for repair when she asked quietly, "Should I try printing on a piece of white paper instead of this yellow paper?" (Stephen J. Haynes, 2002)

    ReplyDelete