Thursday, July 29, 2010

Whoopee! Hurray! Ah done! Ah Submit! People ...ah Turnitin!!

Whoopee! Hurray! Ah done! Ah Submit! People ...ah Turnitin!!
Mih essay ah mean and now ah smilin’
Ah doh kno’ if you like me ....type, type, type ...look at Word count
Buh wha the jail is dis only 375 words? An’ ah typing sooooo longggg?
Type type type... nah ah not lookin’ again. Dat counter cyar count!

Ah cut an paste here and ah cut an paste dere...no ah not plagiarising!!
Remember Turnitin go be checkin
An me eh want nobody tink I thiefin
So what ah really cutting an pastin’ was pieces from my own first draft
Dat is how I does write essay you kno
Ah does write mih thought down
From day one

Mih head buckin buh ah still typin
Ah seein in double...whey dis is trouble
Today is de 27th no ah not remembering 1990
Ah remembering dat the 30th is only 3 days away

Take ah look nah girl! You kno how long you typin
I sure you nearly finish...look how you fingers lookin
Take ah look! Take ah look!
Whaaaa... Helloo?
What do you mean? This cannot be happening to me?
People ah pass the 2500 mark...so you know wha dat mean?
Ah go have to turn back, take out, throw out.
You see, you see
I told you to take a look a long time ago
But nah you fraid to ...so guess wha it dX#@ good for you
Steups! Steups! Steups!

Ah chop chop here and ah chop chop dere
Here is good an there is good.
Hell everywhere lookin good good
Yeah ...yeah
You remember the beginning of dis poem?

Whoopee! Hurray! Ah done! Ah Submit! People ...ah Turnitin!!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Edlin,
    Congratulations! You are quite a poet. You could give Paul Keens Douglas and Miguel Browne some serious competition. I thoroughly enjoyed your poem and empathise and sympathise with you.

    I think having to submit our assignments to Turnitin made us so much more careful about plagiarism and how we use and cite information from other sources. I had to keep checking my APA guide and even when I thought I was properly referencing my materials Turnitin was telling me I plagiarised from a student source (mind you, not the original author whom I correctly referenced) Steups! Turnitin is a great tool for discouraging students from plagiarising but we must be careful about how we interpret the data it generates.

    By the way, I read most of your other posts. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliments...I am practising for when I retyre not retire mind you!
    Turnitin certainly did its job...keeping writers in check. I was sooo happy when my report came back and even happier when I did not have to do any work on my essay. You know what I can not understand...if you seriously take into consideration that THERE IS NO NEW INFORMATION ...then some where along the line a student must "plagiarised" work. I guess it is the percentage of work that is looked at.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edlin girl, I will be looking in the bookstores for a book of local poems authored by you in the very near future. You got talent, girl. I'm very impressed and can totally relate to the content of your poem. I felt the same way. It was rather stressful, but turnitin really helped me to be aware of what I was writing. It's the first time I've used it and I believe it made me a better writer. I've read some of your blogs and I must say, I like your writing style. Looking forward to reading more of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gal me tun am in too;
    Mih glad and feel like you;
    Type,type and quarel
    Buh! one one bucket does full barrel.

    Anyway, mih real enjoy the assignment;
    It open mih eye to technoloy and the 21st century;

    I am motivated to try dem web 2.0 ting and perhaps go to the pantry and sing;

    Me does write like you also;
    Ah does write down my as I research and then pull them together;

    However,mih nah want to count mih eggs before dey hatch;
    Buh ah wonder what grade mih get fuh all them patch.

    SO Whoopee! Ah done! Ah tun am in.

    ReplyDelete